· Movie Theater in Martis Valley just east of Truckee off Hwy 267.
· Donner Lake Memorial State Park. Self-guided walking tour of the Donner Site. Museum and a great slide show.
· Ranger-led hikes around the summit put on by Donner Memorial State Park high-lighting wild flowers, history, geology, and petroglyphs. Call the park.
· Stroll Commercial Row in Old Town Truckee.
· Squaw Valley Bath and Tennis Club: Take a tram ride to the spa, tennis courts, and pool. Call for times and prices.
· World-class fly fishing on the Truckee River. Guides in Truckee. Check out the Sportsman's Bar and Grill on Commercial Row.
· Planted trout in Donner Lake, Long Lake, Loch Leven Lakes, Stampede and Boca Reservoirs. Mackinaw in Donner. Some catfish and trout in Serene.
· Casinos at North Shore Tahoe, Reno, Nevada.
Canoe (Use at your own risk, keep locked and paddles in cabin when not in use):
· Load the canoe and paddle over to the beach for the day.
· Paddle over to the islands, walk around and listen to the birds that live there.
· Catch the alpenglow on Castle Peak as you watch the sun set and the bats dip and dive for bugs at twilight from the middle of the lake.
· Serene Lakes Beach. Brought to you by us homeowners. Enjoy.
· West End Beach at Donner Lake. Admission fee but a great beach.
· Donner State Park on east end of Donner Lake. Possibly a fee.
· Sand Harbor at Lake Tahoe-Nevada State Park on the NE corner of Lake Tahoe. Shallow, warm, roped off, great beach and picnic area. Take 80 east to Hwy 267. Go left at Kings Beach & drive `til you come to Sand Harbor. Parking fee.
· Near-by Long Lake & Loch Leven Lakes reached by hiking.
· Squaw Valley Pool and Spa, Spring and Summer.
· Indoor Pool in Truckee
Hikes (Topo maps are kept in the magazine rack):
· 2 mile easy, flat walk on road around Serene Lakes.
· Loch Leven Lakes. 3 miles uphill to beautiful, trout-filled lakes. Signed trailhead west of Rainbow Lodge off Hwy 80 near Big Bend. Ranger station is right there.
· Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail from Hwy 80 north of Boreal Ski Area to Round Valley and Peter Grubb Hut.
· Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail from Old Hwy 40 near Sugar Bowl's Mt. Judah entrance to top of Mt. Judah and historic Roller Pass.
· Long Lake: a great sub-alpine lake reached by a 15-20 minute drive down dirt and gravel Pahatsi Road (see development map) to the waist of hourglass-shaped Cascade Lakes (you may have to walk the last part of the road) and a 1/2 mile level walk over the dam and down the trail.
· Ice Lakes Lodge at the beach end of Serene Lakes
· Tinker's Station in “downtown” Soda Springs.
· Coffee shop next to the Soda Springs Store.
· Rainbow Lodge south of Hwy 80 near Big Bend. Pricey but good & cozy.
· Truckee has everything from McDonalds to The Cottonwood with Sizzler inbetween.
· 24 hour Albertsons and Safeway and Payless 12 miles away by Hwy 80 in Truckee. Soda Springs Store for essentials.
· Resorts: Downhill: Sugar Bowl, Boreal, Soda Springs, Tahoe Donner, Squaw, Northstar
X-C: Royal Gorge, Tahoe Donner
· Real Cross-country (no charge; ski at your own risk): The Pacific Crest Trail (see Hikes), Pahatsi Rd. past the Royal Gorge Summit Stn., Soda Springs Rd. south from The Ice Lakes Lodge toward the Cedars, around the Donner State Park at the East end of Donner Lk.
Discover the Soul of the Sierra